The newly launched Lawrence Alkin Gallery is proud to announce ‘Aquatic’, the latest collection of work to be released by acclaimed artist Dave White. Opening on November 15, Aquatic develops upon White’s ‘Natural Selection’ series, presenting artworks inspired by endangered species.
Further to his international exhibition programme including MTV (Goss-Michael Foundation, Dallas), New Museum (New York) – and hot on the heels of his inclusion in Shortlist Magazine’s ‘Brit List’ – this is a rare opportunity to view White’s new original work before his solo debut in Los Angeles next year.
Aquatic features new works based on vulnerable species that inhabit our waters. Great White sharks presented in their dynamic scale, with White’s expressive style of painting, make their presence felt. Similarly octopuses are presented as beautiful enchanting creatures, flowing in full glory. White’s use of 24 carat gold leaf on the editions works to add to the preciousness of the imagery before us.
White challenges his viewer to re-engage with the awe of the natural world. He does not choose to present dead animals or stifled artwork, but rather portrays living creatures in all their beauty and animated presence.
White commented: ‘We live in an i-generation culture, obsessed with technology, gadgets and social media; we’re all guilty of this. I just want to capture moments of movement, dynamism and fragility, and encourage people to reassess what is truly important in our existence.
The collection features a variety of original watercolours on paper and limited edition prints, including hand finished with 24 carat gold and platinum leaf.
For further press information please contact Emma Gilhooly at JBPR on 01273 622555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
- Dave White is one of the first artists to be invited to customised his own MTV EMA award for release at the MTV 15 Years of Staying Alive Gala to be held in London (2nd November) where the piece will be auctioned to the VIP audience alongside artwork that White has donated to the charity.
- White is being featured on Shortlist Magazine’s ‘Brit List’ (released 31st October). The definitive guide to the UK’s emerging talents, the list is being announced at a VIP event at The Shard on 23rd October where Dave will be in attendance.
- White studied Fine Art at Liverpool University; he was then selected for the Northern Graduates exhibition at the Royal College of Art. International exhibition highlights include the People’s Square Exhibition Hall (Shanghai), Dia Art Centre (New York), Centre for Arts (Rotterdam), Art Basel Week (Miami), Truman Brewery (London) and the Liverpool International Biennial of Contemporary Art.
- White is also the only living artist to have collaborated with Brand Jordan for the release of his sell out Air Jordan I.
- Last year, White launched his largest, most successful solo exhibition in London, ‘Natural Selection’ inspired by endangered species hosted by artrepublic. White also customized an old English phone box for the ambitious BT ArtBox project which appeared in Trafalgar Square this summer.
- In September 2012, White undertook a residency at the Goss Foundation of Contemporary Art in Dallas.